Friday, February 6, 2015

What to Pack in Your Hospital Bag



Getting ready to have a baby can be scary. You have prepped your home, but have you prepped yourself for the upcoming event? Take it from me, there were things I wish I would have had when I had my first in the hospital, including things I was completely oblivious to. Here is my list of things to take to the hospital with you and at the bottom are things the hospital will provide.


  • Items for the baby--they will provide you with hospital onesies, which you don't keep, but on the day you go home you'll need an outfit of your own to take home your little one. And swaddling blankets for the ride home. You can see in the pic above that on the day we left we had our own items (the pink blanket is peaking out under the hospital's blanket).
  • Clothes for yourself-- you may not want to bring your favorite pieces, things are still messy after birth (imagine having the worst period of your life), but having your own clothes can definitely help you feel more comfortable. I definitely suggest lounge wear like yoga pants, maternity clothes, and anything loose fitting. And bring some granny panties you won't mind saying goodbye to if anything messy should happen. If you're a sock/slipper/robe person, don't forget those as well.
  • Chapstick--this was the weirdest thing I wished I had while giving birth to my first. I was so distracted by my need for chapstick that I was miserable. 
  • Toiletries-- the hospital basically only has soap, so bring all your own toiletries.
  • Pillows-- your own pillow will feel divine when hanging out in your room. If you don't want to pack it ahead, put a sticky note on the door to remind you on your way out. You may also want to bring a nursing pillow, like a boppy, if you're in to that.
  • Nursing pads-- I was totally oblivious to this when I had my first. Luckily my mom brought me a box when I delivered my daughter. Even if you do not plan on nursing you will still leak...these will keep you dry! Here is my list of recommended nursing pads.
  • Lanolin-- if you plan on nursing, you will want this! Sometimes the hospital has little mini tubes you can sample, but having your own will be worth the investment.
  • Entertainment-- you will get bored in the hospital. Most rooms have tvs, but bring along your own dvds and other sources of entertainment. Bring some books or a tablet for the times when you can't sleep and baby isn't in the room with you.
  • Camera-- seriously, we ended up using our cell phones for my first two kids and I regret it. It was mostly from lack of knowing I'd be in the hospital that day, but having it ready (and charged) ahead of time will be a lifesaver.
  • Chargers-- whatever electronic you're bringing, have chargers ready to go. If you're like me and only have one for each item, add it to your sticky note on the door so you don't forget it. 
  • Your ID/wallet-- if you didn't get the chance to pre-register, you will need your ID and insurance cards when you get there. Plus if you want anything special to eat from the cafeteria or vending machine, you'll need your own dough for that. You do get meals delivered, but let's be real about hospital food...
  • Snacks-- hospital food can be a bummer sometimes. Bring snacks that you enjoy, especially if you have dietary restrictions.
  • Essential oils--if you are an essential oil user, there are oils you can use during labor and postpartum to help with the entire process.
The hospital typically provides the following during your stay: hospital gowns, towels, tucks, pads, mesh underwear, diapers, wipes, a nasal aspirator, a binky, bottles/nipples, lanolin, swaddling blankets, formula, onesies, a water bottle, and food/drinks. The only things you do not keep are cloth items like the gowns, towels, blankets, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment