Saturday, October 4, 2014

Pregnancy Style, Part 1

Blocks c/o Spang Gang Designs


Okay mommas, if you are pregnant your wardrobe is about to change. During the first trimester and even into the second you will notice that not everything will always fit the way you want it to. Here are some tips for transitioning your wardrobe from pre-pregnancy to pregnancy.

  • Buy a belly band. This will help keep your pants on if they are too tight to fit on buttoned. I bought one white one and it has lasted me three pregnancies. I'm telling you it is a lifesaver and a great investment. They are also easy to make.
  • For those first few days/weeks that your pants get too tight you can use a rubberband to hold your button closed. Loop it through the button hole and fasten it on your button. It will give you an extra inch or so and you can keep wearing your favorite pants.
  • Utilize your loose-fitted or flowy shirts. On a regular non-pregnancy basis I do not wear tight fitted shirts and since moving to California I have transitioned to lightweight flowy tops. Remember, oversized tees (like your favorite T-shirt of your hubs) is not the same as a loose fitting tee. Your loose-fitted tees will help you still feel like you and you can keep your sense of style. The tee I'm wearing is one of the many shirts I own like that.
  • Wear any empire waist or drop waist tees. I have several items that were either of these and I could wear them through both pregnancies, almost entirely through them. Plus they are good for post-partum and everyday.
  • Pack away those fitted tees. If your fitted tees do not have stretch to them (check the fabrics for elastic-type materials such as spandex). Your growing belly, at some point, will stretch out your cotton tees and there is no going back once they are stretched out.
  • If you have any "fat" clothes, pull them out. I have non-maternity jeans that I kept even after I lost weight. They fit like a dream in the waist (they're still big in the thighs) since my baby belly is taking up the home of my prior chubby belly. The pants I have on are a size bigger than what I wear when I'm not pregnant. I'm glad I kept them!
  • Elastic waist (non maternity) skirts are your friend. They are meant to stretch and will most likely last you through your pregnancy and beyond. Maxi skirts are another good option since they tend to have some give to them.
  • Start prepping yourself to buy real maternity clothes. If you plan on having more than one child it is worth the investment to buy a few outfits. Old Navy, Gap, Motherhood Maternity, and consignment shops are great places to start your search. If you have friends that are your same size, don't be afraid to ask to borrow some pieces of theirs.
Here are links to some of my favorite transitional pieces:
Old Navy Maternity
Old Navy Rock Star Jeans -- at 18 weeks I can still wear my regular Rock Stars. They have magnificent stretch.
Target Maternity --I bought my belly band at Target. It isn't online though so check stores in person...
Kohl's Maternity -- They have great sales, you can combine coupons, and they carry Motherhood Maternity items.
Motherhood Maternity -- the best place for maternity swimwear
Gap Maternity


No comments:

Post a Comment