Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Crepes


Once upon a time I spent a summer abroad in Paris. Nothing says summer to me like fresh summer fruit and crepes, both of which were some of the best things I tried while there. Since it is officially summer (yea!) I had a nostalgic urge to whip up some crepes! The recipe is very simple and I will give you some pointers below to get thin, even crepes.

Sweet Crepes
Modified from Alton Brown, Food Network

Ingredients
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons sweetener (sugar/stevia/honey/etc)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Butter or cooking spray for the pan
(note: I always half my recipe since it is just me. A halved recipe makes approximately 4-5 crepes)

Patience is not my strong suite, but this step is important. Set out all of your ingredients so that they are room temperature prior to blending (besides the melted butter which will in fact be...melted).

Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse for 10 seconds. If bubbles form on top you can gently swirl your blender (by hand) so that they pop along the side, or use a fork to pop them. Bubbles=tearing. Bubbles=bad.

Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Once warm add your butter (or cooking spray) and pour approximately 1 ounce on to the center of the pan (how much is 1 oz? When I pour my batter the initial size is slightly smaller than an Eggo waffle, I'd say approximately 4" across). Immediately swirl the pan so that the batter spreads out evenly. If you wait it will cook like a pancake--not what you want. The bigger and quicker your swirling motion, the thinner and more even your crepe will be.

Let it cook for 30 seconds, then flip. You may have to gently push around the edges prior to flipping if they are sticking to the pan. Let them cook for another 30 seconds, then lay them flat and allow them to cool.

Fill with your favorite fruits (mine is white nectarines) and I like to add a healthy "sweet cream" sauce (recipe below) or if you're feeling indulgent bust out the Nutella! For your little ones, tuck in both ends when you roll it (like a burrito) to avoid spills.


Sweet Cream Sauce

Ingredients
1/2 cup plain yogurt (regular or greek)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 teaspoons sweetener, to preference (I use Stevia)

Mix together and spoon over the fruit before you fold or roll your crepes.



No comments:

Post a Comment