Thursday, July 4, 2013

Homemade baby food

We have been busy with so many fun projects lately, and here is just one of the things that I've been up to! Homemade baby food :)

You'll want to find freezer-safe containers to store your baby food in and I learned from many web searches that the glass jars that baby food comes in at the store are not safe to freeze. Baby food stores in the freezer up to six months, but it is better to use it after three months. I had some left over that didn't fit in jars or the ice cube tray, so I put them in clean glass baby jars/tupperware and they will last up to three days in the fridge. Any question you could ever have about recipes and safety I found on this website. It's nice to save money, but it is more important to be safe in preparing the food for your little one.

Here are the three varieties I made: pureed carrot, pureed sweet potato with zuchinni, pureed sweet potato with peach, and peach.
 Leftovers--safe for up to 3 days

Wash everything first, even if you're peeling it. Chop the carrots and zucchini. For the carrots, sweet potato, and zucchini, I roasted them at 350* until tender (carrots about 30 min, sweet potato about 45 min, and the zucchini about 20 min). Let them cool, then use a food processor or blender to puree to desired consistency by slowly adding water (you can use milk/breastmilk/juice, but I opted for good ol' water). Add it to your desired containers, making sure the food is cool before you freeze it. I ran out of containers so I froze some in ice cube trays, then transferred them all into a freezer bag. According to the site above, each food cube is approximately 1 oz...how convenient!


One ice cube tray filled one 1-quart bag and it all fit nicely in my small freezer.


No comments:

Post a Comment